I'm seeing lot of questions about [Potion of Treasure Finding] on the net, and I thought it could be a good think to make some sort of recap about it. For those of you that don't know it already, the [Potion of Treasure Finding] give you a chance to get a [Tiny Treasure Chest] when killing mobs in the new level 80+ maps (Vashj'ir, Mount Hyjal, Deepholm, Twilight Highlands, Uldum and Tol Barad (although it doesn't say so in the tooltip))
To make the potions the reagents are:
And the [Tiny Treasure Chest] gives you (data come from wowhead):
- 4-11 [Embersilk Cloth] (83%)
- 1-3 Volatile elements (8% each, you'll find some kind of volatiles 20% of the times)
How can you know if this is worth your time and money
There are mainly two things you should consider:
- The price of Embersilk Cloth and Volatile compared to that of the potions(or herbs needed to make the potions) on your server.
- Your ability to kill mobs fast.
The drop rate of the chest seems to be somewhere about 5%, but wowhead doesn't have good data because it makes the drop percentage both from people killing mobs without using the potion and from people under the effect of the potion... The 5% drop rate is what users are reporting.
This means you'll need to kill a good number of mobs too have some profit, so here it comes your ability to kill mobs fast. Classes capable of good AoE farming, like mages, will be the ones which will gain the most from this potion, but you should start to go on-par if you're thinking you'll be killing more than 100 mobs in the hour you'll be farming with the potion.... This should be easy for you to know.
How to best use it
The potion is best used when you're already going to farm some mobs, not while questing or doing dungeons. A good advice is choose the mob you'll kill based on both the number of mobs you think you'll be able to kill in an hour and the usefulness of their normal drops: if the mobs your farming are already worth farming by their own, without using the potion, then you'll actually gain more from your efforts. However, if you're going to kill some crappy mobs that drop just some grays, you could probably gain more from other activities.
/use Tiny Treasure Chest
I highly advise you to use this... If you end up with a messy bag as I usually do, this will help you greatly since you'll see quite clearly if you actually have chests to loot (if you don't the button will be darker and unclickable, as for every "use this" macro).
Some other random things worth knowing:
- The potion is a potion, not a flask or an elixir, so the buff won't last two hours for Alchemist
- Even if the potion isn't a flask/elixir, its effects do persist trough death (Thanks Vince! ^_^)
- The drop of the volatiles in each chest is independent: in the same chest you can find volatiles of two (or more) different kinds.
- The money looted will actually count for the Achievement [Got My Mind On My Money] (I don't know why one should think otherwise, really)
I hope you found this post interesting ^_^
What about the posts in your blog? There is some post you really like and want to share? I'm holding a Best of the Month Blogging Carnival, and I'm still accepting entries for the month of December! So if you have some great post you want people to read, you just have to follow the simple instruction you'll find on the page of the contest and send me your entry before January the 5th.
It's really an easy Carnival, for which you don't have to do a lot of work: you just choose your favorite post of december, add a link in it to the Best of the Month Blogging Carnival and then send me an e-mail at kreaton05 (at) gmail (dot) com
Don't loose this chance!